Wednesday 20 January 2016

Bleach* Launch

It was a dazzling night of free alcohol and lots of dancing. I'm talking about the official launch of Gold Coast's Bleach* Festival. Held at Arts Centre Gold Coast we met for the compulsory meet and greet prior to a bizarre, yet entertaining, performance by the Inaugural Annual Dance Affair who showcased a few humorous dance routines squeezed in while hosting the event.
We were treated to a few short performances by acts that are a part of this year's Bleach Festival programme, including a wonderfully weird performance by The Farm. They showcased an outstanding level of athleticism and skill but I questioned their skit involving the Mayor and a bear suit; I'm not really sure what happened…
The best part of the night for me was having The Cheap Fakes up on stage accompanying each performance. They stood on stage in suits like a band at a prom but it matched the corny feel of the night. The ended the night with their own set while people lingered back out to the open bar. Funny enough, however, a decent sized group stayed behind on the dance floor to enjoy the set.
Attending this event was a pleasing eye opener for me to see that the Gold Coast does have a strong arts community. Having recently moved to the Gold Coast I've been searching for signs of arts, music and culture and trying to edge my way into that community so that I know what is going on and when it's going on. I've missed that aspect of living in Brisbane, but attending the Bleach* Festival launch gives me hope that I can be a part of this community, here, on the Gold Coast.
The first step in doing that is to attend some of the wonderful and creative events held in every corner of the Gold Coast at Bleach* Festival 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment