Wednesday 19 August 2015

Doughnut Time vs. The Doughnut Bar

My first visit to Doughnut Time was after dinner one night in the valley near the beginning of the year. Doughnut's had just come onto the scene as the hot new artisan food. I first heard of the Doughnut Craze when The Doughnut Bar was set to pop-up around Brisbane. 

Upon my first encounter with Doughnut Time, I ordered one Slim Shady, a vanilla glazed doughnut covered in m&m's, and a chocolate glazed doughnut with a peanut butter candy similar to Reece's cups on top - I can't remember the name of it. They were delicious, yet over-rated, but I was most impressed with the actually doughnut itself. It was light and incredibly tasty even without the toppings. 


I returned to Doughnut Time a few months ago and got the Veruca Salt doughnut which was sugar coated with a dollop of delicious salted caramel in the middle - definitely a favourite!. I also got the Tim-Tam doughnut which was chocolate glazed with Tim-Tam pieces on top. I enjoyed them just as much the second time.

I was passing by The Doughnut Bar van on Edward street and decided to give them a try. From the pictures I had seen on social media, it seemed as though their toppings were a lot more impressive than those on the doughnuts at Doughnut Time. On the day I went, they only had the Nutella doughnut and the Golden Gaytime doughnut available, so I grabbed one of each. 

They looked great! The Nutella one had a syringe of Nutella inserted into it's centre where a dollop of Nutella was. It also had a small amount of Nutella filling in it's doughnut centre. The Golden Gaytime doughnut tasted just like a Golden Gaytime (funny that) and had a whipped cream filling. They were both delicious but the actual doughnut was much heavier and similar to a cake texture. Therefore, it was a lot more filling and hard to get through both. 


Although the doughnuts at The Doughnut bar looked great and have wonderful toppings, personally, I prefer the quality of the doughnut itself from Doughnut Time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment