Friday 14 August 2015

Saturday Fresh Markets



Last Saturday I took a trip to the Farmers Markets at Rocklea.
There is something about being surrounded by fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers and pastries that is food for the soul as well as, well, actual food.

I went in with only $40 in my purse. I had nothing in particular that I wanted but knew I needed a couple of pieces of fruit. I honestly thought I'd have to make a trip to the ATM at some stage during my time there because, knowing me, my eyes would be hungry for all the delicious fresh food around me. I did not, however, have to make that trip.

$40 got me what I needed and more. I started out buying broccoli, bananas and avocados. I later grabbed a loaf of fresh white bread and a fruit and nut loaf; two for $7.00! I found a delightful little deli and got a Mediterranean olive mix - I'm a huge fan of olives, semi dried tomatoes and Fetta cheese etc. I found some super cheap strawberries and got a container of Roma tomatoes (about 15 in the pack) for just $1.50.


At this stage I had a wee bit of money left over and decided to get myself some lunch. I got a pesto chicken crepe with spinach, ricotta and tomato filling. It was so much better than I was expecting!


I usually stop by the flowers on my way out and grab a bunch to take home but there was a freshly squeezed orange juice stand nearby that was tempting me in it's direction. So I used my last remaining change on an orange juice, and you know what? It was probably my best investment of the day. It was SO yummy.

Visiting the Fresh Food Markets for the first time in a long while was a wonderful start to my day which continued with me going to work for the afternoon/night. I hope I can make more of an effort to go more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment