Monday 27 July 2015

Bat Nouveau/SXRC @ New Globe Theatre 18 July

It was my first time stepping inside the doors of New Globe Theatre.
I had gone to watch Soviet X-ray Record Club and test out my new camera (which I will be doing a review about soon). I arrived to their gig after work early enough to catch Sounds Like Winter and Bat Nouveau play. Unfortunately, I missed the first band, Nature Trails.

I was not impressed with Sydney Post-Punk/Goth/Darkwave band, Sounds Like Winter. It wasn't my chosen genre but I didn't feel as though they possessed a lot of talent. There was a father-son-duo on bass and guitar, and a middle aged man sporting a muscle singlet, with no muscles, on vocals with his laptop playing drum beats. Their music was definitely dark with themes of satanism/christianity backed up with a complimenting visual display behind them. 

This was the second time I had seen Bat Nouveau perform, and to be honest, I wasn't looking forward to it. Again, their music isn't music of my usual taste, so it was unlikely I was going to like it in the first place. Listening to them a second time helped me to analyse their sound a little closer though. I actually really like their music. Between the two Melbourne brothers, they create a full and catchy Post-Punk, Goth Rock, Deathrock sound. The downside to that sound, however, is the vocal layer. If they weren't singing, I'd enjoy their performance so much more. Their vocal sound is monotone, colourless and droning. Take that away, and they're not bad.

Headlining the night were Brisbane band, Soviet X-ray Record Club. I have seen these guys countless times and am continuously impressed by them. SXRC had a tough crowd to deal with during their set. They were definitely loved; the crowd were dancing and singing along, but high as kites. One girl flashed the band and a couple laid on the stage. The keyboard even got unplugged by someone falling over and the bassist had a good leg-stroking by an audience member. I don't think the poor guys knew what to do with themselves. They kept playing, however, and put on a happy face - although you could tell they were a tad annoyed at the behaviour. They showcased a new track as well, but I won't spill too many beans on that one, you'll have to see it for yourselves.

It was a little disappointing having to enjoy a great set in a small room with seating but the whole audience were on their feet by the end anyway. 


SXRC @ New Globe Theatre Gallery
I took these pictures on my new camera; it was my first time using it. They're unedited. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. 







No comments:

Post a Comment