Thursday 30 July 2015

My New Camera: Samsung NX500

I had been looking at getting a new camera for a long time for a number of reasons.
Firstly, so I can take better quality photos of my products for Kate's Craft Corner without having to get a photographer for photoshoots and using my iPhone in between, and to also take social photographs at the Karalee Tavern - the hotel I work at that family own - without having to pay for a photographer. It would also be a good investment personally as well so I can take better quality photographs while travelling. More importantly though, I recently gained a position at Scenestr and there is a lot of work requiring reviews and photographers. With a new camera, I'm able to get a bit more work out of this if I'm able to do photography as well as review.

So I began searching, but more importantly saving, for the perfect camera. I initially started looking at compact system cameras thinking it might be better to get something smaller so I can transport it a little easier. I also just really liked the look of them - they're quite high-tech but kind of vintage looking. I knew, however, that the look of a camera wasn't enough reason to purchase. I did a little searching and research and decided I liked the Olympus OM-D E-M5 best.

After a little more thinking, I thought, "to hell with it! why not get a full kit?"So I started looking at DSLRs. After a bit of research and talking to some friends, I decided on the Canon 1000D. The 1000D is the top camera of Canon's starter level digital SLRs and is recommended for first time digital SLR users who want quality photography - it sounded perfect.

But I still wasn't sure on which camera I liked more.
So I decided to go in-store and talk to a professional and see what they thought.

I told the gentleman there which cameras I had been looking at and why. He agreed they were both great cameras but had another in mind for me. He suggested the Samsung NX500.

I was immediately taken by it's moveable touch-screen and vintage look. It's a whopping 28 megapixels with 4K and UHD video! It can connect to wifi and can share photos straight to my smartphone via bluetooth. The salesman actually owned this camera himself. He said that after three weeks of him playing around with it in-store he bought it and abandoned his old DSLR kit. He said it does everything a DSLR can do but is lighter, smaller and easier to use. So after a little thinking while I browsed the CDs, I decided I was SOLD, and went ahead with the purchase. Better yet, it comes with it's own little flash and the lens was included in a package price, so I didn't have to break the bank in buying all the accessories.



The NX500 is quite automatic so there wasn't a lot for me to learn. I was a little anxious about getting a DSLR thinking it might take two years to learn to use! The Samsung NX500, however, is very simple to use. You can see a few of the photos I've taken with it in my previous blog posts. I'm happy with how they've turned out. None of them are edited or anything and I think they look good. I'm so happy with how easy this camera is for me to use and how wonderful the shots I'm getting are. It's also great for me to be able to transfer them straight to my phone and post them to social media instantly.

Now I just have to get plenty of practise and learn how to use Lightroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment